County of Guilford )
State of North Carolina )
Affiant: Mr. James Stump
5313 Cobles Church Road
Julian, North Carolina 27283
I, James Stump, have given the following statement
regarding my observations and activities on October 9, 1995,
truthfully and to the best of my ability. I have not been asked, nor
have I been coerced, to make any false statements regarding this
matter. My statement is as follows:
1. My daughter, Kim, is the wife of Ronnie Kimble.
2. Ronnie and I, talked about underpinning his trailer over the
weekend of October 7 and 8, 1995.
3. On Monday, October 9, 1995, at approximately 4:50 p.m. to 5 p.m.,
I arrived at Kim and Ronnie Kimble's.
4. That when I arrived, Ronnie was there working on the supports for
attaching the underpinning to the trailer.
5. That Ronnie appeared to be in a completely normal state. He was
not excited, nor was he preoccupied with anything. He was just as he
has always been.
6. That I assisted Ronnie with the support underpinning of his
trailer for 30 to 40 minutes and left him at his home between 5:30
p.m. and 5:40 p.m.
7. That on October 9, 1995, shortly after 6 p.m., Ronnie and my
daughter, Kim, came to my home. I recall the time because the six
o'clock news was on. Ronnie and Kim were at my house for
approximately one hour. Kim was working with her mother on an ABC
distribution order that she wanted her mother to take to work the
next day, Tuesday. Kim wanted to send the ABC distribution order out
with the other orders from the building her mom works to save on
8. That when Ronnie and Kim Kimble left my house, they told me they
were going to the Winn Dixie Grocery store to buy something for
9. That I did not hear from Ronnie, or Kim Kimble again until
approximately 9:15 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. when I received a telephone
call from Kim stating that she and Ronnie had received a phone call
notifying them that Ted and Patricia's house was on fire.
Mr. James Stump
September 5, 1996
10. That during Kim's telephone call she asked her
mother to try and locate Edna Kimble. Kim stated that she had paged
Edna Kimble, but had not received a return call.
11. Kim also stated that she and Ronnie were going to Ted and
12. Later that night, Kim and Ronnie Kimble came back to my house.
We all rode in my car to Ted and Patricia's church, South Elm Street
Baptist, where family and friends were meeting.
13. That I observed Ronnie, again while he was at my home, riding in
the car and at the church. At this time his emotional state was very
different than when I had seen him earlier. He was crying a great
deal and stated he could not understand how anything like this could
happen. In my opinion he was completely grief stricken.
14. That I stayed with my wife, Kim, and Ronnie until the early
morning. The following day, at which time I drove Ted's Jeep, with
Ted and Edna Kimble as occupants, to Ron and Edna Kimble's home.
15. Kim drove Edna Kimble's car, with Ronnie and my wife drove our
car to Ron and Edna Kimble's home.
16. That detective Church of the Guilford County Sheriffs Department
had told me that he has enough evidence against Ronnie Kimble to
obtain a Grand Jury Indictment.
17. That Detective Church has stated he has evidence that Ronnie
Kimble was seen near Ted Kimble's home at 6:20 p.m. on the day of
Patricia Kimble's death.
18. That I have told Detective Church, that it is for a fact that
Ronnie Kimble could not have been at Ted Kimble's house at 6:20 p.m.
that day, because Ronnie Kimble was with his Wife at my home. Ronnie
was watching the news with me as we discussed how the underpinning
of his trailer should be done.
This is my statement, given on the 5th day of September, 1996.